So, I’m dialed into a sales call. The attendee hasn’t joined yet. Let’s take a look at the route I took to get the “news” out that Governor Rod Blagojevich was taken into federal custody.
1) Receive a text message at 8:20 from a friend breaking the news to probably everyone on his cellphone. The message read, “Blago arrested by feds.” Mack, thank you.
2) Put dog into cage and (at the same time) grab my iPhone from my pocket. I’m hoping to make this sound more adventurous as the story goes on. As I’m walking down the stairs – it’s a monsoon out there – I pull out the phone and load Twittelator since Twitter.com (joined yesterday and only sort of like it) is easily the quickest way I’m going to get this “news” out. My phone is still trying to connect to my Wifi. The Twittelator program has taken over the phone and won’t let me turn off the ability to access our Wifi. Nothing is working.
3) Forget wallet but remember forgetting wallet before getting outside the building. Could have been worse.
4) Twittelator finally loaded and gave me back my iPhone. Turned off Wifi connection. Placed in pocket and listened to music while walking to train stop. Once covered from the monsoon, I sent out a tweet “blago arrested by feds?” at around 8:30 am CST – 8 minutes after the Sun Times but well before the Tribune. Bankruptcy, anyone?
5) Get to work 3 or 4 minutes late for the call (but apparently early – reference line 1 and 2 of this posting) because the train was delayed (and full of disgusting wet people).
6) Tell coworkers that Blagojevich was arrested.
7) Dial into meeting and fire up the PC. Attendee not on call.
8 ) Receive Google Talk links from coworker. Haven’t checked them yet.
9) Log into CNN.com. See “Breaking News” headline.
10) Email attendee.
11) Receive NY Times email notification at 9:16 am CST. Had a cool screenshot I was going to post of the message popping on the bar right next to my clock. Damnit, I must have copied and pasted something else before creating a .jpeg of screenshot. Bummer.
12) Attendee postpones until later via email. Will call me at 9:30 am CST. Back to work. Publish posting.
13) Google Talk a link to this posting to a few people. Will possibly even post to facebook and digg. Watch out!
14) Attendee postpones until another day.