Chicken has definitely lost its flavor as noted by Mark Bittman in a New York Times Magazine article from today titled “Why Take Food Seriously?”
So, if you care not to buy designer chicken – ha! – check out the simplest “make chicken actually taste good again” recipe ever!
1) Preheat oven to 400 degrees. You can also cook on grill but I haven’t done so yet. Wash inside and outside of chicken off.
2) Open a beer and drink 1/3 of it. Pour a few tablespoons of seasoning in the can of beer. Stuff the can of beer in the chicken and stand upright. If you’re using a large whole chicken – seen below – use a wide can of beer. Heineken and Foster’s will get the job done. If you’re using a normal sized whole chicken you can use any size can of beer. Moreover, I don’t think the kind of beer matters. The seasoning does all the flavoring as the beer provides moisture.
3) Rub the chicken down with poultry seasoning. Be generous.
4) Cook in a dutch oven (the chicken will sweat/splatter all over your oven if cooked in a shallow pan) for 2 hours at 400 degrees.
5) Remove can over a sink. Be VERY CAREFUL with the removal! It’s a 2 person job – 1 to hold the chicken and 1 to pull the can out. There will be EXTREMELY hot beer in the can and the removal may require some pulling of a slippery a$$ can.
6) Carve away and enjoy! Whole chickens will feed a family for a few days.
Awesome! I’ll be trying this, although I’m going to add more drinking in between the steps, just to make sure it is done right!
This was tasty when you made it for my orphaned-Easter feast. Glad your lovely bride saved you from 3rd degree burns!
2 hours at 400?!? is the bird supposed to be black? i usually do it at 375 for 45 minutes to an hour.
Ray, I don’t usually eat my chicken raw. Maybe just watch the timer pop. The above picture was 2 hours at 400 degrees and it turned out – like always – perfect.
What size chicken do you use for this recipe?
D Ann – a large roaster. This was as big as you can get. I think this one was around 8-10 pounds but am not sure.
I just made these. They are delicious and super easy! I have a cooking recipe site as well and I’d like to exchange links with you. Let me know if this is possible. Thanks.
Sure – my email address is email@example.com
A pal recommended me to check out this site, nice post, fantastic read… keep up the good work!
I cooked this dish for the main meal last sunday. The whole family enjoyed it, I’ll be offering it often now, it truly is great to get original suggestions for tasty recipes together with easy to understand approaches to cook them. Appreciate your supplying them.
Pearl, thanks for the feedback. I actually had it last night for dinner! Here’s a pic: http://twitpic.com/1hdpfm
It’s a pity you don’t have a donate button! I’d most certainly donate to this outstanding blog! I guess for now i’ll settle for book-marking and adding your RSS feed
to my Google account. I look forward to new updates and will talk about this blog with
my Facebook group. Chat soon!
Hello there! This post couldn’t be written any better! Reading this post reminds me of my old room mate! He always kept chatting about this. I will forward this page to him. Fairly certain he will have a good read. Thanks for sharing!
I have a comment in moderation that broke the thread on The GZ case, please delete.
Everyone loves it when folks come together and
share thoughts. Great website, continue the good work!
Hello outstanding blog! Does running a blog such as this require a large amount of
work? I’ve no expertise in programming but I had been hoping to start my own blog soon. Anyway, should you have any ideas or tips for new blog owners please share. I understand this is off subject however I just wanted to ask. Cheers!
Wow, superb blog structure! How long have you been blogging for?
you make running a blog glance easy. The entire glance of your site is magnificent,
as neatly as the content material!
Hello it’s me, I am also visiting this web page daily, this website is truly fastidious and the viewers are in fact sharing good thoughts.
My partner and I stumbled over here from a different web address and thought I might as
well check things out. I like what I see so i am just
following you. Look forward to checking out your web page repeatedly.